Saturday 25 October 2014

Wall of Gears

I'm inspired by this picture, which I found on Pinterest.

 

I want to have a wall of gears too!

Mine will be different though.   I don't want them to be symmetrical, and I want each gear to be very different from each other.

I want the gears to be pretty big.   The first one I designed is about 3 feet across.  Here is a picture of it:



Since the laser-cutter I use only has a 24x12 bed size, I needed to split the gear up into 10 different sections, plus a section in the middle into which all 10 outer sections fit.   I made 2 identical layers (each 1/4 in thick), and then staggered them, so the bottom layer supports the top layer when glued.

I also added some dark paper in each hexagon, to add some visual interest.

I'm happy with how this one turned out, so I'm off to design the next gear.



No comments:

Post a Comment